Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ba(ra)ck again...

Fellow comrades,

Well, haven't blogged for a while. Had some problem signing in a few weeks ago and decided to give up. But, thought I'd drop by and write something. Since, obviously, I'm having no problem signing in, I may just write much more frequently in the coming days. The news item that caught my eye was Barack Obama's decision to launch a "presidential exploratory committee" for the 2008 Presidential campaign which is another way of saying "I'm doing this just in case I decide to back off later so that it won't hurt my career as badly as launching a full-fledged campaign AND I'm able to start my campaign early, albeit partly-fledged, without suffering from burnout BUT, should I decide to run anyway, I'll have plenty of money raised already". This, after months of avoiding the issue and giving few hints as to whether he would run. An article by Charles Krauthammer about Senator Obama written in October 2006 was particularly interesting. It explained how the Senator would "win by losing", should he run for the Presidency in 2008. Only God, and Senator Obama, would know whether the article had any influence on his decision.

I, however, have just recently discovered the virtues of Chuck Hagel. Basically, he's a Republican, Vitenam-vet, experienced businessman and Senator from Nebraska. In recent years, he has quite publicly distanced himself from the Bush administration. What's more interesting is the Israel lobby's "effort to marginalize Chuck Hagel for saying fairminded things about Israel/Palestine ". Interesting, no?

That's all for now, folks.

Godspeed,
Fadli

"When I was a small boy growing up in Kansas, a friend of mine and I went fishing and as we sat there in the warmth of a summer afternoon on a riverbank we talked about what we wanted to do when we grew up. I told him that I wanted to be a real major-league baseball player, a genuine professional like Honus Wagner. My friend said that he'd like to be President of the United States. Neither of us got our wish." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

No comments: